Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Praying to Come Home

Overlooking Assisi
 

Wow! It is almost time to come home! I am not sure that all of my stuff will fit into a suitcase that the airlines will accept nor am I sure that I can describe to anyone in a short phrase or a few sentences what the past four months have been like.



Fr. David in Assisi











As I write this, I am sitting on the terrace of the retreat center overlooking the hillside town of Assisi. We have come here for retreat to wrap up our time of study, prayer and renewal. 



While in Assisi, we will celebrate Mass in the Basilica of Santa Chiara, where St. Clare is buried and where the Damiano Cross that spoke to St. Francis is kept.

San Damiano Cross

Santa Chiara














We will also celebrate Mass in the Cathedral of San Rufino (below) where St. Francis and St. Clare where baptized as well as the Chiesa Nuova which is built over the childhood home of St. Francis.
Cathedral of San Rufino

 


On our last day we will celebrate Mass in the Basilica of St. Francis in the crypt where he and his companions are buried.



During the retreat we also have had some free time. One day I hiked up to the Hermitage on top of Monte Subiaso where St. Francis would often retreat to pray. It is a tough climb up to the top, but the solitude and the view are incredible.

 





The entrance to the hermitage has two signs above it. One reminds us that "Where God is, there is Peace." The other one is very clear. "Silence!" If we want to hear hear the God who brings us peace, we have to take time to be quiet.

Signs above the Hermitage entrance



View from the Hermitage

















Another great place I visited in my free time here was the Church of San Damiano where St. Francis first heard the Lord call him to conversion. It is also where St. Clare built her convent. In the wooden choir stalls is an inscription about the essence of prayer, "Not a voice but a desire - not a clamor but love - not instruments but hearts singing in the ears of God". It was great advice for the beginning of a retreat.

In addition to many Churches, it seems like I have visited a lot of tombs during the last four months: the tomb of St. James in Santiago, Spain; the tombs of St. Peter, St. Paul, and many other Apostles, martyrs and saints in Rome; the tombs of Mary the Mother of God and Jesus Christ our Savior in Jerusalem. And now lastly, Saints Francis and Clare. What is this fascination with tombs in Christianity? Why do people travel great distances and expose themselves to danger in order to see where someone's dead body was placed?

Maybe it is because we try to squeeze the divine out of things like a fruit juicer hoping that something tangible in these places will strengthen our faith and give us a reason to believe. Or maybe it is because we are bodily people who need to identify with the bodily nature of those who have gone before us in faith. Or, possibly it is because we are people who believe in the Communion of the Saints and the resurrection of the body and we do not see death as an obstacle to a relationship with these holy people.

Ultimately, it is about relationship. Jesus taught us that love of God and love of neighbor cannot be separated. So if we want to meet God, we have to meet our neighbor; especially the neighbor who is poor, weak or a stranger. The most exciting revelation comes when we realize that WE ARE that poor, weak stranger in need of love and mercy.

This week I am praying for many things. I am praying in thanksgiving for all of the people who are a part of my life. I am praying in thanksgiving for all that I have been able to learn, see and do and for the people who made sacrifices so that I could experience these things. I am praying for our country and for our diocese and for our parishes. And I am praying to come home. I am looking forward to bringing my physical pilgrimage to a conclusion so that I can continue my spiritual pilgrimage with the people that I love.

I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Peace and Goodness,

Fr. David

1 comment:

  1. Padre David, we look forward to your return and we pray for you and your safe travel. I particularly like the sign at the hermitage "Silence" I think we want so much to "hear" God but are expecting Him to address us personally, like a National Geographic Special. We need to remember He does it on His terms not ours. What I enjoy about hiking is the silence! I pray as I walk along and yes, sometimes I do hear Him answer me. One quick question, the tomb of Mary the Mother of Jesus? Didn't Mary skirt death and assecend into Heaven? We can talk when we are face to face. Again, looking forward to your return.
    Peace & Blessings, Gene
    PS. Happy Thanksgiving as we have Ssoo much to be thankful for that we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.