Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Genesis


I have always enjoyed learning new things and sharing what I have learned with others.  As a priest, I have continued to read widely and seek opportunities to grow, but I have not had an opportunity to engage in theological studies in a classroom setting since I was ordained a priest 18 years ago in 1994.  Last year I requested permission from Bishop Stika to take an extended period of time to study and pray to renew my own approach to ministry in the Diocese of Knoxville.  Bishop Stika approved my request and this period of prayer and study will begin this July 18th.  I want to tell you a little about what I will be doing and also what the plan will be during the time that I am away.  

After Bishop Stika gave his permission, I applied for and was accepted to the Institute for Continuing Theological Education (ICTE) which is based at the Pontifical North American College in Rome.  Each spring and fall, the ICTE invites about 30 English speaking priests from around the world to come to Rome.  This program of study is designed for priests who have been in ministry and are interested in returning to theological studies so that they might bring back to their people the rich treasure of learning available from the Church.  The professors for the Institute are by and large Roman-based university professors (some come from the USA or Europe) whose expertise has brought them to the “universal classroom” of Rome.  Offering more than one hundred hours of presentations, the professors enjoy working with Institute priests because of the give-and-take with experienced pastors and those active in the various ministries of the Church.

Among the subject-areas covered:

  • Normative ethics and bio-medical ethics
  • Scripture Studies
  • Liturgy and preaching the lectionary
  • Fundamental and moral theology
  • Women Doctors of the Church
  • Eucharist and Sacred Orders
  • Christology and Ecclesiology
  • Culture and Unbelief
  • Canon Law
  • Ecumenism
The priests of the Institute include diocesan and religious priests who come from various English-speaking countries which helps each to understand the greater horizon and local circumstances of the worldwide Church in its various places.

While I am in Rome I will have the privilege of concelebrating liturgies at the Altar of the Tomb of Saint Peter and in many of the other ancient churches. In addition to having regular access to Saint Peter’s Basilica and the scavi (necropolis beneath the Basilica), I will make visits to the Vatican Museums and Sistine chapel.  I will also have the opportunity to attend Papal audiences and participate in Papal liturgies.

During a 10 day break in the ICTE, I will be participating in a study-pilgrimage to the Holy Land where I will have the opportunity to study Holy Scripture in the place where Jesus walked and to pray in the birthplace of three world religions.

Prior to arriving in Rome, I will undertake a Pilgrimage to the Holy City of Santiago de Compostella, where the Apostle James is buried.  The Camino de Santiago for me will begin in Lourdes France, where I will visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes who spoke to St. Bernadette.  Then I will travel by train to St. Jean Pied de Port, France to begin walking over the Pyrenees Mountains into Spain and end 500 miles later in Santiago de Compostella.  Santiago, Rome and Jerusalem are the three great medieval pilgrimages of Christianity and this time away from the Diocese will allow me the unique opportunity to visit all three of them.

I have set up this blog which I will update during my time of study and prayer so that I can share some of the experiences and lessons of the journey. 

I have to admit that I am a little uncomfortable at the thought of leaving the diocese and parish for an extended period of time.  You are my family and I am sure that I will get homesick along the way.  One thought that helps me as I prepare for this “Camino” is that you will be with me on the journey and when I return I will have so much to share with you. 
I ask for your prayers for me as I prepare for this experience and I look forward to sharing the journey with you.

1 comment:

  1. The Brig family will be looking foward to reading your blog and praying for you along the way! God bless you and may He be with you for each and every step of your pilgrimage!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.