Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The List & The Stuff

Am I ready for this journey? How many miles can I walk in a day? Will my feet hold up for over five hundred miles?  Do I have what I need? What will the people on the Camino be like?

I am sure that pilgrims for over a thousand years have been asking these and many other questions before setting out on "The Way".  One of the ways that I deal with anxiety is by making a list. Sometimes it is a list of what I need to do, but in this case it is a list of what I need to take.




The List


It is very difficult to try to decide what I will need for almost five weeks when I have no idea what I will encounter.  Maybe that is why Jesus tells his disciples not to even take a bag. I have not missed that timing of this week's Gospel in which Jesus instructs the Apostles to "take nothing for the journey but a walking stick- no food, no sack, no money in their belts."   I have violated the letter of this instruction, but I have tried to stay true to its meaning.  I am only bring 4 cliff bars as an emergency backup for food.  I have a small bag for a few clothes and an ATM card. In total my "house" for the next month weighs about 20lbs plus some water.



The Stuff

When I look at the stuff that will protect me and support me on the way, it doesn't seem like enough, but it never does.  No one ever walks alone. The many people whom I am blessed to know are also a strength and support for me.  One thing I added to my list after several revisions was Trust.  It is the inward part of the outward journey.

St. Francis of Assisi who once walked the Camino would use the greeting Peace and Goodness. I think that is a good way to begin and end.

Peace and Goodness,

FD

2 comments:

  1. You'll also be taking the love and prayers of your friends and family...won't weigh a lot but hopefully you'll feel it on every step. Peace and goodness, too. Faerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father David;
    Several of us have been reading about the Camino with hopes of making the pilgrimage some day. I've sent the link to your blog to them and we will all keep you in our daily prayers as your walk the Way.

    Buen Camino,

    John Foreman

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.