Monday, July 30, 2012

Rioja- pronounced Whee Oh Ha!

Logrono is the capital of the Rioja wine country. In my mind I was thinking about Napa Valley. It is different here. They are very focused on making wine, but they are not as interested in giving tours and explaining what they do. 

Entering Logrono
My Friend Laura

I tried all day to find a wine country tour. Whenever I would ask someone about visiting the wineries they would look at me like I was asking to watch chickens lay eggs.

Agriculture here is a business, not a tourist industry. In the end I had to settle for buying a really great bottle of wine and having a picnic in the park along the river with some friends of the Camino.

I am sure, with a car, that a great experience of the Rioja wine country can be had. But for a pilgrim on his feet on a day that is intended for rest, a tour of the local park was much better.

Tomorrow is a very long and tough day. We have over 30 kilometers to our next stop in Najera with a serious climb to begin the day. The forecast is also calling for plus 100 degree temperatures tomorrow.

Sabbath was always part of God's plan for us. To rest is not just a good idea. It is a humble recognition that we have no idea what lies ahead.

Father David Poses with Hiker Statue
Logrono Cathedral
Wine Country
Wine Skin Meets the Wine



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.