Monday, July 30, 2012

Estella- working for my dinner (July 27)

Traveling the Camino can be a bit like living in the United Nations. Every language and culture is represented and amazingly we all find a way to communicate. Food is a great way to break down communication barriers.

Cathedral in Estella
I arrived in Estella not knowing much about the places to stay in town and so I read a sign that said "Albergue Parroquial". I thought it might be nice to see what a parish run hostel is like.

Working for Our Dinner

Cooking Dinner


I was greeted with a glass of red wine by Franco who only spoke Italian and who took my bag and led me to a very small room full of bunk beds. Then he asked me if I wanted to share in the dinner that night. I have never passed on food so I said, "grazie!"

Dinner Afuera

It turns out that this parish hostel is staffed by volunteers who take a two week turns at welcoming pilgrims. There is no charge for the hostel, but everybody helps and then we pool our resources to make dinner.

I peeled potatoes and chopped onions until I cried. Franco had me help him start the outdoor grill to fry the vegetarian frittata. A trio of Italian pilgrims helped cook over the grill while a Frenchman and four Basque Pilgrims made the salad.

Franco decided to make it my birthday as a cover story in case the parish priest arrived because he did not like them cooking outside. Later, Franco asked me what I did for a living. :)

3 comments:

  1. Father David,
    This is the Hodak's, Theresa and Ken. We thought you might need a little encouragement during your journey. We wish you all the best and pray for your safe travels. Take care... we'll continue to keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real question is, did he slowly begin to back away once you told him?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.