Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Eucharist: Thanksgiving



I was so overwhelmed by my arrival to Santiago on Saturday that I wanted to take things slow on Sunday.  I went back to the Cathedral to celebrate Mass and give thanks for the many blessings of the Camino.

I did not expect to be principal concelebrant again because there were so many priests.  I was just happy to be a part of the celebration.

Fr. Steve (L) with Fr. David (R)
In the sacristy, I reunited with  Fr. Steve, a Salesian priest from New Jersey. We had met back in Granon and our paths had crossed all along the Camino.  We were catching up with how each other's journey had gone when the procession started. Because we were the last two in line, the Master of Ceremonies seated us in the two principal concelebrant chairs with the Presider.  We were both surprised and honored to be able to celebrate together at the altar of Santiago.

The biggest thrill was being able to give communion to the many pilgrims I had walked with on The Way. As they came forward for communion I was able to remember where we had met on the way and what I had learned from each of them.  We all cried for the joy of reaching Santiago and because we realized that we were about to say goodbye.

Preparing the Botafumeiro
At the end of Mass the Presider for the Mass asked me and Fr. Steve to come in front of the altar with him. The Tiraboleiros who help with the incense brought the censor (Botafumeiro) forward and opened the top. The priest gave me a huge bowl of incense with a soup ladle and asked me to place incense in the enormous censor that had a mini bonfire inside it. Then he asked Fr. Steve to do the same. They closed the lid and 8 men began to move the censor though the air all the way to the ceiling of the Cathedral. It was incredible.  I have never experienced anything like it. See the video of the Botafumeiro at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.

After Mass there was time to hug and say goodbye to so many people. It was difficult, but we all had new places to go.

The priest's homily had focused on how we now needed to take the experience of the Camino to other people and places. Even to the end of the earth. What I take away is gratitude. I am so thankful for everything and I hope that I am able to live out of that gratitude.

The word Eucharist is really a verb. It means to give thanks.  Our most perfect form of prayer is the celebration of the Eucharist.  We need to ask ourselves each time we go to Mass what offering we are going to make in thanksgiving for what we have received.

Peace and Goodness,

FD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.