Friday, August 24, 2012

Purification



 
Alison Krauss - Down to the River to Pray
 
Today,  I had planned to stop at the river Lavacolla where Medieval pilgrims washed themselves in purification (and to get rid of some accumulated grime from the Camino) before entering the Holy City of the Apostle. 

The morning began with light misty clouds that turned into steady rain followed by a solid downpour for about 6 hours. By the time I reached Lavacolla, I had been soaked to the bone. There was nothing left that had not been washed by the rain. 



Smelling Like Sheep

I must have looked rather pathetic when I arrived at the hostel because the woman behind the counter told me to take a shower immediately to warm up and she washed my clothes for me without charge.

The weather matched my mood as well.  I thought that I would be excited to be so close to Santiago, but I find myself somewhat sad to be arriving.  I have had an amazing experience that I find hard to put into words.  I have received so many blessings on the way; from the priests who have blessed us at the pilgrim Masses to the grandmother in the park who blessed me as one of her grandchildren.  I have encountered great hospitality in the most unlikely places; like Carmen in the town of Sabugos who waited on the street by her house to offer warm crepes to the pilgrims as they passed by.  (She even sprinkled extra sugar on mine).

I have had conversations with total strangers about the deepest and most important things in our lives; like Robert from Poland who knows that God is calling him to something more and he wants to be open to it.

I think I am sad because I know that what is so frequent and easy on the Camino has to flow into life after the Camino, but it will be more difficult. It is like saying goodbye to a friend who is moving away. The friendship will never end, but it will take more intentional effort to maintain it.  I hope today's purification has prepared me for what lies ahead.

Getting Close to Santiago


Tomorrow will be very different. Entering the city of Santiago and attending the pilgrim's Mass with so many people I have known on the way will be exciting.  It is good that we end the way with "The Breaking of the Bread".  Luke 24:35


Peace and Goodness,

FD

2 comments:

  1. Almost there sir!!!!!! It's a GREAT feeling when you turn that last corner and BAM, Cathedral. :)
    I will be one day out of Finisterre tomorrow (Sat) so if you're still in Santiago on Monday, we'll have to catch up :)
    -Chris, from the Original Crew ;)

    PS- the bikers irked me from time to time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father, ah yes, the bittersweet end is in sight. You are thankful and joyous to arrive but sad that all the experiences, people, places, and the hike itself are "complete." The "hike" is never complete. It lives on inside you. Soon you will be thinking about the naxt one. If you repeated the same pilgramage tomorrow it would be a complete different experience, again. The rain was both physical and spiritual. Did it not prepare you, cleanse you, make you feel humble? As our Lord washed the feet of His Disciples, so the rain has washed you. And so the end, is just the beginning of something different. You will always treasure this adventure, this pilgramage, this special Blessing.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Gene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.