Thursday, August 30, 2012

To the End of the Earth




In the movie Forrest Gump, Forrest decides to go for a run for no particular reason at all. People are fascinated by him and want to know why he is running.

At Mass last Sunday, the priest told us we needed to take the experience of the Camino to others; even to the end of the earth. I took him literally and walked to the end of the earth: Finisterre or Fisterra as it is called in the local Gallego language.




After walking over 800 kilometers you might ask why I would want to walk another 100 kilometers.  The best answer I can give is completion. Medieval pilgrims would walk to Finnisterre because it was the place where the known world ended.

Father David above Finisterre




At the shore they would pick up a clam shell to take home as a sign of the completion of their Camino.

The markers that have helped us find our way to Santiago are the logo of the clam shell. (See right) As you walk to Santiago the lines of the shell converge to represent the many different ways coming together in the City of the Apostle. As you leave Santiago the image of the shell is turned the other direction representing being sent out to the whole world.







Last night I climbed up on the rocks by the lighthouse to watch the sun set over the ocean.
I waved toward the United States which is now quite well known.  I thought about all of you and how thankful I am for my family, my friends, Sacred Heart Cathedral and the Diocese of Knoxville.




Jesus at the Ascension assured the disciples and us that he would be with us always; even to the ends of the earth.  Sitting at the end of the earth helps me to see how true that has been all along the way.  My walking is over for now, but it will take me a long time to reflect on what I have experienced on the Camino.

Luckily, Monday I fly to Rome to begin a different kind of learning.  I am sure that it will also be a time of great lessons. I look forward to sharing the journey with you.

Peace and Goodness,

FD

1 comment:

  1. Padre David, What a wonderful conclusion to your pilgramage. The orientation of the scallop shell is so appropriate. Hopefully you too have picked up a small shell to remind you of your adventure. That is what I do when I hike someplace new. Then when I am "bad mood" I pick up one of my stones and am reminded of the trip that I was able to make.
    As I was going to work the other day, I looked south into the distance and the Smokies filled the horizon. I use to wonder "what kind of morning did the hikers have?" Now I will "wave" East in your direction and ask a similar question, "What kind of adventure did Father have today?" We can talk about it when you return. The video of the incense offering is incredible.
    Peace & blessings, Gene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Because this is a moderated comment section, your comments might not always appear on this blog.